Zoro not Zolo

Submitted by ChaosSepher on Mon, 02/13/2012 - 02:22

Making this to address what could be the biggest hangup I have about the Viz translation of One Piece. It's something we are all well aware of and has annoyed many One Piece fans for years, and it's their insistence of translating Zoro with and L instead of an R. Long run, it's a minor thing I realize.

My reasons for hating the change? I can sum it down to 2 reasons personally. First, it clearly has always been written ZORO in english on his wanted poster, so it makes it glaringly inaccurate and unnecessary there. Second, it seems like a constant reminder of the Dark Age where 4kids Enterainment ran the anime *shuuder*

So if anyone else feels the same way I do, feel free to post here and we might give Viz the feedback to hopefully change this small but significant name translation.

Comments

Submitted by Primo on Mon, 02/13/2012 - 19:15

I wish it was Zoro at least digitally.. O well, long as you don't lose sleep about it.

Submitted by urian brown on Thu, 02/16/2012 - 09:31

And I suppose you don't like the One Piece rap.

Hrmph!

; )

Submitted by KentaYuki on Sun, 03/18/2012 - 10:17

4kids hasn't really been good at running those anime.

Submitted by peacegeek on Tue, 04/03/2012 - 22:32

i guess I can see your point, (i mean zolo doesn't have the same manly ring) but they keep most of the other names the same and zolo isn't that far off.
I think that for people first picking up the manga the name zoro might make them think that Zoro is more like the Spanish Robin Hood Zorro. When really he is his own man with his own ideals and his own swordsmanship way surpassing the masked hero. (zoro is not a hero, he's a pirate)

Submitted by dethorats on Sun, 04/08/2012 - 17:18

I concur. I have the original vols. 1-5 in English when Viz first started releasing the series and it WAS Zoro back then, prior to the 4Kids license. I never did fully understand why Viz changed it once 4Kids had the license. My understanding was that 4Kids was worried about a conflict with the Zorro estate holders, even though as far as I know there was never any legal action threatened, so they went with Zolo. But as to why Viz went along with that change, even though they hadn't been translating it that way in the first place, I've never understood. And having to alter artwork to reflect Zolo rather than Zoro has always been a huge pet peeve.

Submitted by tywrowe on Sun, 04/08/2012 - 20:07

I actually preferred one piece when it was made by Toei on 4kids. The animation was more detailed and the voice actors were better. When funimation got hold of it the animation was less colorful (which don't fit a series like op) and all the voice actors sucked. Zoro sounded all monotone, luffy was more Girly sounding, sanji was also monotone and usopp was even more annoying.

Submitted by dethorats on Tue, 04/10/2012 - 01:53

Well, seems like Viz has heard us, although I suppose from other places than this forum. The correct spelling of Zoro is allegedly returning as of an upcoming chapter. Hopefully this wasn't a terrible April Fool's joke. But it'll be awesome if this is true. So awesome that I would seriously consider re-buying volumes 6-61 with the corrected spelling in the future because it did bother me that much.

Submitted by ChaosSepher on Sat, 05/12/2012 - 20:37

Hopefully it is true that they are finally changing it to Zoro. Any idea when this is going to go into effect if so?

Submitted by KentaYuki on Wed, 04/11/2012 - 15:48

Thank goodness that's over!
Now we need to do something about the anime....

Submitted by Void99 on Tue, 05/01/2012 - 16:55

Personally I think Zoro is a better name fit for Zoro/Zolo anyway. It has a more dangerous ring to it, and seems overall more fitting

Submitted by ShonenMangaka on Thu, 07/19/2012 - 20:24

But if hey do change it back, doesn't that mean they'll have to re-print all the volumes? Seriously, how did Viz mix that up so badly?

Submitted by JKisivuli on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 17:40

yeah i now your pain man. Those days when 4kids ran the show!! dark age alright!! I mean 4kids is good and all but when it comes to anime it just doesn't fit right in the world of anime!! you know what i mean? plus 4kids just couldn't keep on changing stuff in one piece and that's why the one piece 4kids version stopped in the arlong arc. sure they did a good job of changing the fat guy on shank's crew's gun on the first episode and they managed to change sanji's cigarete into a lollipop but one piece really wasn't actually mean't to be for kids and eventually they gave up. seriously!!! zoro is not ZOLO!! it's ZORO!! ZoRRRRRoooooo!!!

Submitted by HolyPaladin on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 19:49