The end of a certain popular scanlation site

Submitted by dUsTeAtEr on Sat, 02/11/2012 - 20:20

One of the major scanlation sites for manga has been forced to remove its VIZ manga series. What I'm wondering is why Reborn! had to be removed - VIZ has "cancelled" this series. What is the problem with reading it illegally if a legal alternative is not available? It's very likely that someday Hunter x Hunter will be added to Shonen Jump Alpha, but with this recent news, I hope Reborn! is added as well (and gets continued manga volume releases).

What are your thoughts on this recent news? Will you continue to read VIZ series on other scanlation sites, especially ones that are not in Weekly SJ Alpha (such as Claymore/D. Gray-Man)?

Comments

Submitted by KexCormacson on Sat, 02/11/2012 - 23:31

I honestly was okay with them wanting MangaStream to cease and desist with the manga series that were on the SJA app. Whatever, I'll wait the three weeks to see the chapters I haven't seen (because apparently Viz can't even make their app completely up-to date, something that a group of people who did it for FREE were able to do weekly). But I think they crossed the line a little.

If Viz wants to stop someone from releasing a series that they own, MAYBE they should consider releasing it themselves. I am a huge fan of REBORN!. I own all 16 volumes that Viz was so kind to release, you know, before they just decided to stop without any warning two years ago. I even shelled out $45 for Volume 12, which is completely out of print. Now, I understand that Viz wants to keep their licensed series to themselves, and that's acceptable for a company to do. It's a hindrance, yes, but that's capitalism for you. But to stop someone from freely distributing a franchise it has licensed and yet obviously does not seem to care about is just plain wrong.

Viz, I hope ONE of your higher-ups stumbles upon this and realizes that REBORN! absolutely does have a fanbase large enough to at least warrant distribution via the SJA app. And it'd be really nice if the app could be, you know, UP-TO-DATE, and not THREE WEEKS BEHIND.

Submitted by AmaranthSparrow on Sun, 02/12/2012 - 00:00

I hate to say it, but I'd be willing to bet that the reason why Reborn was probably put on hiatus by VIZ was BECAUSE so many people were just reading it for free online instead of buying the English licensed versions.

Also, Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha is actually only TWO weeks behind the Japanese edition -- Weekly Shonen Jump is released to newstands on *Mondays* in Japan.

However, in Japan, scans of these magazines often get leaked online almost a full week *early*, usually by people who work in industries or locations that allow them to obtain copies of the magazines well before they're supposed to be released to newstands. It's these scans that are used as "raws" for scanlation groups.

So, for example, the most recent issue of Weekly Shonen Jump (2012 #11), which has Bleach on the cover and starts a new arc for that manga, JUST came out in Japan several hours ago. In other words, if you read a scanlation of Bleach or whatever last Wednesday, you actually read it about five days before the general public in Japan were able to even buy it.

As you can imagine, this has actually become a major problem in Japan, where it's REALLY hurting the circulation of the magazine itself (in the 90s it sold about 6 million issues weekly, but these days they're selling less than half that).

Submitted by KexCormacson on Sun, 02/12/2012 - 00:10

Okay, so either way, we're behind. Why not just be up-to-date? And now that they've successfully stopped MangaStream, they could probably start releasing REBORN! again. I'd sure as hell get the app if that was the case.

Submitted by AmaranthSparrow on Sun, 02/12/2012 - 00:34

I agree, I wish they'd be a bit closer to the Japanese release date, though even simultaneous release with Japanese newstands would still put them five days behind most scanlations.

Likely the only way they'd ever be able to do a simultaneous release with Japan AND still beat illegal scans would be if Shueisha also offered a digital Weekly Shonen Jump and they posted new chapters online two weeks before Japanese newstands. However, digital distribution of print media is actually still a very new concept in Japan and I don't think they're really ready for it yet.

All I can say is that if you want VIZ to pick Reborn back up, your only option is to continue making a fuss and getting other people to join in too.

Submitted by KexCormacson on Sun, 02/12/2012 - 20:56

Where do we get to voice a complaint? I have a huge group of friends who would be MORE than willing to stick it to Viz and try to get some justice. Akira Amano is amazing, and her work doesn't deserve to go unnoticed. I seriously do not want to stop her from getting paid. (I read way too much Bakuman -_-) And I WILL continue buying REBORN! volumes.

Submitted by dinomike on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 23:28

are you saying we get it to see it before japan gets it, I'm just a little shocked to know this?

Submitted by FrankyCenaur on Sun, 02/12/2012 - 20:09

The sheer fact that I have to read a chapter two weeks after the release date is what is keeping me from signing up for this site. Two days is what I'm willing to wait.

I ranted about this on Arlong Park- there is currently no way I'm willing to pay for SJA. My hopes go out that there will be other people who translate the chapters and release them on time. I already buy the volumes of the series from Viz, I even buy the actual WSJ every few weeks because I love having the physical copy. I won't pay for digital content, especially since its digital content that you don't even own.

IF- if- Viz gives us chapters on a REASONABLE schedule, and has more than 6 manga in its line up, then I will buy it. Where's my Gintama? You canceled the series and haven't even had the guts to give your LOYAL and PAYING fans a statement.

So, I'll continue to hope for another mangastream to come around soon.

Submitted by urian brown on Mon, 02/13/2012 - 16:35

dUsTeAtEr - I removed your link. Please don't link to other sites, even as reference.

Please read the rules if you have any questions about posting.

Thanks!

Urian Brown - - Supreme Enforcer of Stuff in the Forums.

Submitted by woma24 on Mon, 02/13/2012 - 18:31

viz batter damn well do reborn because there really is a fanbase now with this arc bing so good i really don,t wanna misses it or the arcs to come please just get reborn back start at 370

Submitted by hOlO69 on Mon, 02/13/2012 - 18:41

Theres a huge fanbase! it doesn't make sense to me why reborn's volumes haven't been continued yet

Submitted by Primo on Mon, 02/13/2012 - 19:07

I can't wait until sja gets super huge and well known then we'll be able to rotate multiple manga in the line up just in case togashi goes on hiatus :)

Also then we could get better ideas of what people like as far as new manga, then even add digital volumes and if it does really well, print!

Aww so much potential lol.

Submitted by woma24 on Mon, 02/13/2012 - 22:29

i really want to support theme but not if there going to act childish with other titles if someone form viz is hare or at less seeing this is it really that hard to add a anther title then the ones you have why did you have mangastream take reborn out that all i really want to know think you

Submitted by ShonenMangaka on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 20:16

Well Viz had better start up REBORN! again. I mean come on, THEY were the ones who cancelled Reborn for 2 years, disappointing fans. Of course they'd go to scantalation sites. If they're just telling others to stop just because they have SOME of the volumes, they don't deserve the right to sell the manga. Seriously, this manga is almost 400 chapters long!! That's close to Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece's chapter count!!!

Submitted by susakeshadow on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 21:08

It was probably cancelled because people weren't buying the volumes at the time when it was being released or they had some sort of licensing issue, but i think is because were reading on Illegal translation sites. :(

Submitted by VongolaNinja on Thu, 03/22/2012 - 17:50

I know that the two week lag may be frustrating to most, but try to keep in mind this is the first year they're trying this; Alpha's been going for maybe three months so far; give them time to figure things out, test waters, and quicker release dates and more series are sure to follow once Alpha's out of its early stages and the word spread out.

As for Reborn!, I'm sad to say that most people just took one look at Tsuna's "Holy Ham on Rye, Reborn!" and read online; as the manga was a gag series, I actually thought that was just what Tsuna would say for comic relief, much like sidekick Robin's "Holy....whatever, Batman!" sort of thing; he just didn't seem like a "Holy $#!$" kind of guy. Granted, when Viz began giving Gokudera a sort of hick, stereotypical Southern phrasing (well blow me sideways--which actually sounds really dirty now that I think about it) for no reason, I could see where they were coming from, plus the inconsistent swearing...but to me, the translations weren't that bad, and I enjoyed the series.

I only hope that by stopping Mangastream from posting chapters and Viz putting the subbed anime on vizanime.com, that they are planning on putting forth the manga again in some form or another. Honestly, I think that at this point, the fanbase has spread and awareness has been raised that it could be worth them to try again (to be fair, Viz is a business; if something isn't selling, they can't keep releasing it for charity). Whether it be through Alpha or a physical release (or, preferrably, both), I have faith that Viz, what with their improved translations (the subs were well done), less censorship, and overall listening to fans, will give their expanding, and demanding Reborn! fanbase our due soon.

Just give them time and patiently let them know your desires and it'll work out.