Deck-Types: Rundown on the Beatdown
Ask yourself this: Do you enjoy simple solutions to monster conflicts? Would you rather take the traditional punch-em-in-the-schnoz route instead of insisting on a slow-and-steady demise? Do you like slaughtering weak beasties? If so, you’re perfectly suited to run a Beatdown Deck. But are you fighting with your brains, or just your brawn?
Bring On The Bruisers
High ATK monsters are your heavy-lifters, but while you should give them the spotlight, don’t skimp on strategy. Sometimes a low-stat Effect Monster can do more than several with high ATK. Also remember that summoning the most powerful monsters will take serious thinking...and Tributes.
Magic in the Ring
Since you want to hit hard and fast, use Spells and Traps that clear your opponent’s field. Try using defensive cards with added bonuses, such as destroying the attacker, so you can counterattack as soon as possible.
KISS: The Golden Rule
Above all: Keep It Simple, Stup...er, Sweetie. Base your Deck on a single theme. Maybe your Deck uses Wind-Up or Watt monsters. Or maybe it’s all Dragon-Types or DARK Attribute. At the very least, many Effects grant field-wide benefits to a certain group of critters, making your opponent KISS the curb all the faster.
Watch for the Left Hook
A Beatdown Deck’s worst enemies are Effects that block or paralyze attacks. Destructive Effects can also be deadly if you can’t recover immediately. Dark Bribe, Effect Veiler and similar cards offer some protection, but try to keep an ace in reserve just in case.
- Lightweight Championship: Low-Level monsters have come into their own. Whether by themselves or as fodder for something stronger, little guys can sometimes do what their superiors can't.
- Vanilla Is Still A Flavor: Normal Monsters can be a dangerous force with the right backup. Seriously, did Kryptonite ever bother Batman?
- Number 96: Dark Mist - Detach a monster from this Number to make him exactly 100 ATK stronger than his enemy.
- Ego Boost - A sudden 1000 ATK bonus during a battle? Yes.
- Mirror Force - Wipe out every offensive monster the moment your opponent attacks. Boom!
For more information about the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game, visit Konami's official site today!
by Chris Turner
About Chris Turner
A casual duelist and former Viz Media intern, Chris has ascended the ranks and now writes for us as a freelancer.